So the day has finally come and I will be boarding on a plane to South America in less than two hours! Well, technically I’ll be flying to Fort Lauderdale first, but still! Words can’t express the feelings I’m feeling right now. So many emotions. The thought of not knowing what I’m about to embark is raising my anxiety level just a tad bit since I’m actually here at the airport realizing that I’ll be out of the country I’ve been in my whole entire life. But at the same time it excites me for all the great adventures I’m about to experience. I hope you will follow me on my journey and it inspires those of you who have always wanted to do something or go somewhere but have found excuses not to go or have been too scared to take the leap. Make it happen people! Commit to something today that you’ve always wanted to do and start making your way to it!
Image from http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-j1CXUipwkkM/U8s6p4RhvxI/AAAAAAAAA6o/mmq042OROfw/s1600/take+that+leap.JPG
Check out this amazing photo by this awesome photographer!
Sam Davis http://sam_davis.vsco.co/media/54e3af880856156d2c8b4580
I’ve been wanting to get a hammock for so long, but didn’t want to fork out the money. However, there’s a $15 off sale until midnight on http://www.theclymb.com and I was finally able to get my hammock for less than $50! That includes shipping too! Here’s the link if you want to catch the same great deal. 😄
The Clymb http://vnlink.co/SChyrkM
In less than two weeks I will be embarking on my first solo trip, EVER! Words cannot describe how excited I am. I will be venturing to Peru and Bolivia for two weeks. I really wish I can go for longer, but unfortunately real life and job will prevent me from doing that. Plus I need to save my paid days off for a trip to South East Asia later this year!
Anyhow, I thought I’d share what I’m planning to take with me and then I can update once I get back to let you know on what worked and didn’t work. I don’t know about you, but I can get a little obsessive sometimes with packing lists and gear reviews. I’ve probably read at least a hundred different posts about packing lists from blogs and other websites for the past couple months now. And after multiple trials of packing and repacking of all my gear I think I’m finally set on what I’m taking.
First things first, my backpack! I don’t want to check in any bag so I’m going to be taking a 40L backpack and a smaller backpack for everyday use. And I ‘m going to take as little as possible so I can bring a lot of souvenirs back.
So what’s in my backpack? In my big pack I’ll have all my clothes:
- 1 pair of jeans (I’ll probably wear this the day I fly to save space)
- 1 yoga pants, 1 yoga capri, 1 yoga legging (these are easy to pack and super comfortable)
- 3 tshirts
- 2 tank tops
- 1 fleece sweater (will wear this the day of also)
- 1 rain jacket
- underwear and hiking socks!
- For shoes I’ll be taking a pair of New Balance cross trainers I bought for cheap at a TJ Maxx a long time ago (will wear these the day I fly also), my trusty Toms, and a pair of my cheap, but awesome Old Navy sandals.
- Joby Gorillapod for DSLRs – a really cool lightweight, bendable tripod
- Collapsible water bottle – saves space!
- Sony Action Cam – hoping to film some fun videos of my trip (Yes, I got a selfie stick too..don’t judge)
- Rain cover – for my backpack on rainy days
- Dry bags – to keep my gear within my packs DRY (just in case the cover isn’t enough)
- Headlamp – self-explanatory
- A hanging toiletry bag – to hang my toiletries in hostel bathrooms
- Money belt – not sure if I’ll need this or even use, but a lot of blogs I read recommend one
- Quick dry towel – so I don’t have to carry a wet towel in my backpack!
- Locks – to lock up my ish in hostels
- Clothesline – to dry my minimal amount of clothes I’m taking
- Female pee pee device – this is basically like a funnel that females can use to pee standing up (learned about this from a YouTuber I watch, go check out her blog at: http://hopscotchtheglobe.com/)…curious to see how handy this one is!
- Note: Most of these items are new to me and I will try to review them when I get back and then include links to the products I actually like or find useful
For picture taking:
I’m still debating if I want to take a bulky DSLR or just my new Sony Action Cam. I really wanted a GoPro so I could be cool like everyone else and their moms, but I read some really good reviews about the Sony Action Cam (cheaper!) so I went ahead and bought one that’s supposed to be comparable to the GoPro Hero 3+. I can do a full separate review of the camera if you’d like (just comment below). Also, keep in mind I haven’t had much practice with either camera. So if the photos don’t come out great I’m sorry, but I’d rather enjoy the moment then waste time trying to figure out my cameras. Bare with me! 🙂
Just taking the bare necessities that will go into a quart size ziplock bag that I will stuff into my toiletry bag and then a small separate makeup bag with minimal makeup.
Hope this list helps. Happy travels!